Saturday, December 4, 2010

With the Transit Coat On


Like it or not, Philadelphia has settled into winter. After a few weeks of yo-yoing temperatures, teasing me with the promises of eternal mid-60s temperatures, today's gloomy outcast is a high of 42 and a low of 29. Thankfully we haven't had any snow yet, other than a handful of sprinkles on Thanksgiving morning. I've got to be honest, I do not like snow. Even as a kid, I knew the secret: A "snow day" was only a cleverly disguised "shovel the walk" day. As an adult, I've got the added pleasure of digging out my car and trying to drive to work in an icy mess (or even worse, trying to ride my bike). This year, our new apartment has free heat and internet, so I think it's safe to say my winter will consist of never leaving my apartment and instead enjoying my newly purchased Netflix subscription.


The one thing I love about winter (other than enjoying the snowy view from my cozy apartment) is the outerwear. Sure, it gets a bit monotonous, but I'm still in the honeymoon period of breaking in favorite coats and jackets. I picked up this pea coat from H&M a few years ago for $80. It was a warm coat, pretty durable, and stylish so I shelled out the extra bucks. Of course, last fall I saw the same exact coat (in additional colors) for $30. Go figure. It's still one of my favorites and adds an instant polish to any outfit.


Winter is also the time to steal your boyfriend's sweaters. I've been known to "borrow" Ray's clothes in the past, but I find this look is much more advantageous in the winter, when bulky layers can easily be hidden under an oversized sweater. It also allows me to incorporate newstyle into my wardrobe; we're more or less on the same frequency as far as taste goes, but he also picks things I would never give a second glance to but later realize are genius. Unfortunately for him, he can't get away with wearing my cardigans or t-shirts.


Pea Coat: H&M
Sweater: thrifted (Village Thrift- Pennsauken, NJ)
Scarf: American Apparel
Shorts: thrifted (Closet Exchange- Abington, PA)
Shoes: Forever 21
Tights: L'eggs
Sunglasses: street vendor

1 comment:

  1. This is a really great outfit. LOVE that pea coat. Definitely worth the extra $$.
    x
    P.S. I'm hosting a couple of giveaways on my blog until Dec 11th with Marc Jacobs and Givenchy prizes, if you'd like to enter here's the link: http://theblogofobsessivecoolness.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete