Monday, May 24, 2010

Bikeage


Ok, ok. I think I'm back with some regularity now. It's been a weird couple weeks and I'm ready to return to some semblance of normalcy. Today was spent working on an installation at Moore College of Art and Design (my ex future alma mater, before I dropped out in 2007) for the Philadelphia Bike Expo. The event isn't until October 30-31, but they're getting a head start on publicity by displaying bikes crafted by local handmade bike builders. Today self-taught builder and all around awesome guy Chris Wright dropped off a beautiful Parisian light cargo bike, and we got some pretty sweet bags from REload, who I featured back in April. It was pretty weird being back on my old stomping grounds, but everyone was super nice and the security guard even remembered me from four years ago!


I knew today was going to be a busy one, so I didn't want to be limited by a skirt or dress. There's nothing like standing on the top rung of a ladder to hang something and wondering who's looking up. In a rush to get down to Moore on time, I inadvertently grabbed one of my favorite shirts that I always forget I still own. Violent Society is an old local band that I guess you can say "made it big" in the street punk world. Their singer, Pat, has been an old friend for years now and hooked me up with this sweet shirt. It originally was a size large or so, but I reconstructed it into a tank top right away. I pretty much wore this thing to death from ages 16-19. The cotton is worn down so much that it gains new rips and tears with each use and the silk screened lettering is peeling off. It still fits like a glove and reminds me of my scrappy punk youth.


As much as I look back on my past with a smile, I am indeed 23 now and can't get away with leopard print skirts and turquoise hair. I'll always fondly remember cramming in to a sweaty basement to watch my friends bands play and hanging outside the beer store waiting for a homeless guy to buy us 40s. Of course, it's also nice to be able to get into 21+ shows and order gin on the rocks at the bar.


I got a few shots of Ray for the Bilenky Cycles blog and of course, he couldn't help being a turd and impersonating my poses in his pictures.


I hate to say it, but he pretty much nailed it.

Tank Top: gift
Jean: Forever 21
Scarf: vintage Anne Klein (Antique Mall- Philadelphia, PA)
Belt: vintage Levi Strauss (Sweet Jane Vintage- Philadelphia, PA)
Shoes: thrifted (Philly AIDS Thrift- Philadelphia, PA)
Sunglasses: Urban Outfitters

1 comment:

  1. totally nailed it. i just laughed out loud. like a total dork. he should consider putting together a fashion blog...

    ReplyDelete