Friday, April 16, 2010

You'll Be the Rhythm and I'll Be the Beat

After a bit of a fashion slump this week, I wanted to really kick it up a notch for Friday. When I want to feel good, there's one dress I turn to:


No matter how awful of a mood I'm in, or how hard I'm beating myself up over my body, this dress always puts a smile on my face. I love the quirky housewife feel and it fits like a glove, accentuating my favorite features (small waist, collarbones) and hiding what I don't (big hips, thick thighs thighs). I came across this from my good friend Mia. I'm no sure how she found it, but it's a one-of-a-kind, handmade dress from the 50s. It didn't fit her (how, I don't know, because she's a twig!), so she passed it on to me. The pattern used definitely lends itself towards the ideal deal figure at the time- hourglass curves. 




Now I know you're traditionally not supposed to mix contrasting patterns, but it seems to be rather trendy these days and I decided to give it a shot. From what I've read and observed, mixing prints works well if they're in the same color family, and one print is larger than the other. In this case, the large gingham of the dress is the focal point. My black and white heels have a smaller gingham print that the eye blends as your step farther away. 


Dress: Vintage handmade
Shoes: Payless
Sunglasses: Forever 21
And just for kicks....I had to try out my best Rosie the Riveter impression:

We Can Do It!

No comments:

Post a Comment